[R6RS] Case-sensitivity

Anton van Straaten anton at appsolutions.com
Sun Feb 19 20:57:35 EST 2006

William D Clinger wrote:
> Then I remembered the straw poll we took at the Scheme
> workshop in September 2004.  The vote was 22-3 in favor
> of case-sensitivity.  I think we can list that as the
> rationale for case-sensitivity.

Along similar lines, it's worth noting that at least 10 well-known
Schemes are case-sensitive by default: Bigloo, Chicken, Gambit, Gauche,
Guile, JScheme, Kawa, PLT, rscheme, scsh.  At least two others, Chez and
SISC, allow case-sensitivity to be specified as an option.

Given this situation, what would it mean for the R6RS to specify
case-insensitivity?

For me, this is another reason that simply sticking to pure
case-insensitivity would be questionable, despite my personal preference
for that mode.

Anton