[R6RS] Case-sensitivity

dyb at cs.indiana.edu dyb at cs.indiana.edu
Sun Feb 19 16:08:08 EST 2006

I'm inclined to put case-sensitivity into R6RS as we decided and see if
the community squawks about it.  It's not the sort of change that will
be hard to back out, so it hardly matters whether we poll the community
now or when the report goes out.

Each of us who voted for the change did have one or more rationales for
making the change, and it's a good idea to list them.  We should also
list the arguments against.

My list of arguments for case-sensitivity:

  - it gives me a larger set of identifiers of a given length to work with

  - it allows me to use the same name, differentiated by case, for
    related items, like a record type named Frob and instances named frob
    or a procedure named Expr that processes expressions named expr.

  - it allows Scheme identifiers to represent more identifiers from other,
    case-sensitive, languages (for construting interfaces or modeling
    other languages), with less need for escapes like |---|.

  - it puts us in step with the most popular contemporary computer languages
    (C, C++, Haskell, Java, Perl, etc.)

  - it puts us out of step with Ada, Basic, Cobol, and PL/I
    (this is a joke...actually I don't really care about these languages)

  - it is more consistent with math, where case often matters

My list of arguments against case-sensitivity:

  - not backward compatible with some r5rs programs

Perhaps you can all submit your additions to these lists so that Mike
can construct an overall list.

We can also separately mention the polls that have already been taken.